RAW BASICS: CURD OR CREAM
This simple plant-based, raw recipe is a beautiful replacement for conventional curd. It can be used as curd or cream and in many other ways in several Indian Raw or Cooked recipes. This recipe is whole, allergen free – so that all can cherish it.
Recipe Type: Raw Basics
Cuisine: Useful for mostly all cuisines
Author: Anjali Sanghi
Often while making creamy raw food dishes, specially with Indian flavours, you wish to use local ingredients and want to avoid use of too many nuts.This recipe gives that alternative. Being allergen free, it can be enjoyed by maximum number of adults and children alike.
You may also like these upcoming recipes made with this Raw Curd/Cream:
Raw Raita (A favourite side dish of North Indian Cuisine)
Cheesy Dip or Dressing (A creamy dressing we love on our salads)
ARE YOU NEW TO RAW FOOD RECIPES: Read RAW FAQ’s, Basics, Benefits & more… Here
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes (manual)
Blending and Storing: 5-10 minutes
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: can be used in 1-3 dishes as per requirement
Cream (‘Malai‘) from 2 fresh green coconuts
1/3 or small peeled an chopped zucchini (optional- if you want it yet lower in fat)
Some drinking water to blend
1 Spoon and Bowl
HOW TO CREATE
- Peel the cream of fresh coconuts if required. Wash them to remove any coconut husk.
- Using a chopping board, dice the coconut into small pieces.
- Add small diced pieces of the coconut to the blender.
- Add 2 table-spoons water and blend for half to one minute.
- To this mixture add some more water and blend.
- Keep adding little water and blending till you get a creamy yet not very runny consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and use immediately.
- Can also be refrigerated upto three days.
Fresh cream from Young Green Coconut gives creamy texture. This is more useful in Raw Recipes. This generally has a neutral scent and taste. It does not smell or taste much of coconut.
Hard cream Mature brown Coconut gives a grainy texture- More useful for cooked dishes. This will have a stronger scent and taste of Coconut.
REPLACEMENT FOR COCONUT
Peeled melon seeds can be used if coconut is not available. It can be used as an alternative for few recipes.
HOW TO CREATE:
Take approximately 150 grams peeled melon seeds, available at most grocery stores. Please ensure seeds are raw and not roasted.
Wash and soak them for 4-5 hours. Then rinse them once. Now add them to the blender with fresh drinking water till a creamy consistency is achieved.
NOTES: For creamy texture use of Melon seeds is better.
You can use Sunflower seeds for grainy texture.
- Remember to wash all ingredients properly before starting to chop them
- If your home blender is unable to blend the coconut into creamy texture in one go, then you can sieve the first blended lot. Whatever is left on the sieve, you can add it to the blender again and blend. This way you can have a smooth creamy texture using any blender.
- For ‘curd’- add water to achieve a creamy consistency. For ‘cream’ add little water while blending only uptil you get a more solid cream like consistency.